Indians Abroad

Malaysian of Indian descent, jailed, repeatedly used to terrorize girlfriend

He repeatedly beat his girlfriend, threatening to kill her on several occasions (representative)


A Malaysian of Indian descent was sentenced on Wednesday to seven months and three weeks in prison for terrorizing his girlfriend by hitting her, smashing her phone after swallowing a SIM card, tearing her passport and handcuffing her with his hand. suffocated.

Paartiban Maniam’s sentence was dated back to March 12 when he was arrested and detained, the newspaper TODAY reported.

The 30-year-old Malaysian pleaded guilty to two charges each of criminal intimidation, committing mischief and injuring his partner.

He was drunk on all these occasions.

District Judge James Elisha Lee considered six other similar charges for sentencing purposes.

The court heard Paartiban had been dating his 38-year-old colleague for about two to three years. They lived with her uncle in Singapore from December last year until January 23, when he first assaulted her.

She ended the relationship in early March.

Paartiban went out for drinks with his friends on January 23 before arguing with the victim by telephone. When he got home, he accused her of being with another man and verbally abusing her.

When her uncle took them down to the empty deck of the apartment block where he lived to settle matters, Paartiban slapped his girlfriend and punched her. The older man had to tell him to stop.

Back at the uncle’s apartment, Paartiban placed a kitchen knife near his girlfriend’s neck and threatened to kill her. He later hit her head with a wooden kitchen towel rail.

Upset, she wrestles the container away from him and beats him with it as well.

Her uncle eventually called the police.

Paartiban was arrested before being released on police bail.

About a month later, on February 28, Paartiban moved out of the apartment but returned.

When his girlfriend refused to let him in, he loosened the metal gate at the main door by forcibly pulling it away from the wall. He then entered the apartment, snatched away her phone and slapped her face.

During their argument, he aimed a fruit knife at her chest and said in Tamil he would “definitely kill” her.

He later aimed scissors at her abdomen and again threatened to kill her. She managed to calm him down and he put the scissors down before hitting her shoulder.

Afraid of what he would do, she obeyed his instructions to pack her belongings and leave with him.

All this time he kept yelling at her, punching her shoulder again and then tearing up her Malaysian passport, according to TODAY’s report.

When she got to the ground floor of the block, she came up with an excuse, walked away and asked a passerby to call the police for her.

Paartiban was arrested and released on police bail.

On March 11, he asked her to return his clothes to him.

He took her to a multi-story parking lot and said he wanted to kill her that same day.

She refused to get into a taxi he had requested, so he took her to a nearby bank.

As she sat on the couch, he took a metal bottle cap from his pocket, bit it to make it sharp, and put it down to her neck.

He then checked her phone, saying she had called other men the previous day, swallowed her SIM card and smashed the phone several times against the bench before putting it in his pocket. He also swung a bottle of alcohol to her head but missed.

He continued to drink the alcoholic beverage and smashed the bottle before placing it near her neck. He also said he would kill her the same day before killing himself.

He then picked up some shards from the bottle and asked her to follow him.

While she drank some water, he put his arm around her neck and strangled her with his hand. A police patrol car then passed them and urged him to leave.

She then approached the police for assistance.

The prosecutor is demanding seven to 10 months in prison for Paartiban.

For criminal intimidation, he could face up to two years in prison or be fined, or both.

For voluntary injury he could be sent to prison for up to three years or fined up to SGD5 000, or both. And because he committed mischief, he could be sent to prison or fined up to two years, or both.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by techlives staff and is being published from a syndicated stream.)

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button